I think just about every window could benefit from some sort of window treatment. I really love floor to ceiling drapes and would have that on just about every window of my house. I had planned to have nice long curtains in Ryan's room but unfortunately it just wasn't in the cards.
Reason 1: The window is right next to the corner making it hard to even hang a curtain rod.
Here is a picture of Ryan's room before we actually bought the house:
Reason 2: The room also has a chair rail. Actually, it's an 8" ledge that runs directly under the window and continues on the adjacent wall. This is very typical for split-level homes here in Rochester, MN. Seriously, almost every house we looked at before moving here had this feature. It makes it a bit difficult when placing furniture so it's not my favorite. That said, I apologize to any of you who are partial to the split wall thing.
So onto plan B.
Fortunately, I also love Roman shades. So I decided to make a fixed, flat-fold Roman shade. I used the tutorial from a couple of blogs found here and here. They are really great tutorials so I won't worry about going into the details of how I made this. However, I have plans to make another one shortly so maybe I'll include a few tips/details with the next shade.
I really wanted some texture to compliment his dresser knobs so I used burlap, lined with dark brown material, for the shade. I then added upholstery webbing for faux ties.
I'm happy with how it turned out, and I'm maybe even a little grateful for the window/wall issues I faced because I never would have thought to do this otherwise. Plus, this project only cost me roughly $7.