Thursday, March 1, 2012

Finished Bar Stools


I just finished our bar stools! I guess it's no secret that I love Restoration Hardware's furniture, including their tables and chairs, however our budget is the limiting factor. So in an attempt to recreate the finish shown below on their Madeline bar stools I used the same technique with staining our stools as I did with our kitchen table. Since the stools are next to the table, I wanted a similar/cohesive look. However, I stained them a bit darker to provide some contrast.
I know I mentioned in the last post that we felt we had looked everywhere for bar stools. Initially, I wanted a stool with a back because of the kids, but then because of price we decided to look into backless stools. I also liked the idea of being able to "tuck" them away so to speak.
I love the simplicity of this stool and decided to look into making something similar.


Making stools would have definitely been cheaper than our other options, but I was a little nervous about how they'd turn out. However, I was still willing to give it a try. I was so relieved when Eric ran across the stools from Overstock that it took us only a few minutes to decide buy them.

So here they are all finished. I'm not doing another tutorial since I stained them the same way I stained my table. However, this time I just layered on more stain to get a deeper color. I also used Krylon clear polyurethane spray, instead of wax. (which I first tested on some scrap wood to make sure there wouldn't be too much sheen) It says it dries in 15 minutes so when a couple hours went by and my chair was still a bit tacky I was freakin' out a bit. Fortunately, by the the time I got up the next morning it was nice and smooth. 


The stools are very sturdy, and I love how they turned out.




Linked to:
Tip Junkie
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Miss Mustard Seed

7 comments:

  1. Kristi - these turned out beautiful! I was so impressed to hopped right back to your table tutorial and pinned it on my how-to-paint-stuff board. :)

    Also, I love all the natural light your dining area gets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristi...your home is a must see. I need to plan a trip to see you. Missing you too much! I like yours better than the Restoration Hardware, once again. Love ya! Give the kiddos loves from me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your stools are great. I am in need of some and just can't find what we are looking for. You have given me an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there, I just ordered those same stools and then happened across your Blog. I love how yours turned out. Did you sand the stools completely down? Is it possible you could email me a picture of your stools?
    missybtx@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I agree with you. Really this blog is very informative.



    bar chairs

    ReplyDelete