I made these picture mats over a year ago and I have just now gotten around to putting them in frames. I'm so glad I did!!
I saw similar mats at Pottery Barn a couple years back and loved them, but as usual the price was more than I wanted to pay and knew with a little work I could reproduce them. They were very easy to make.
- Frame Mat
- Canvas or similar material
- Red embroidery thread
- Spray adhesive
- Glue gun/glue
1) Cut material 1/2 inch larger than your mat.
2) Mark and sew the baseball threads. (You could also paint it on with acrylic paint or even use a marker.)
3) Spray the face of the mat with the adhesive. Place material on mat making sure it is pulled fairly tight.
4) Pull the excess material over the edges placing hot glue where necessary to hold it in place.
Here is the back of one of the mats:
I found a couple of frames that were in storage and revamped them.
I first primed the frames then sprayed them with Midnight Blue paint from Rust-Oleum.
Here is how they look in his room. I love that this cute guy is the first thing I see when I walk in the room.
The frames look more black in these pictures, but they really are just a nice dark blue.