Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Sarah's Bed Redo






I was lucky enough to find this bed at a yard sale down the street from where we lived in Milwaukee. The lady who was selling it was asking $30 for it. I noticed that there was some detailing on the legs that was missing in a couple areas, and I wasn't sure if I could fix it. But I loved it and I knew I needed to take it home with me. I also knew that my husband would question my judgment when he saw that I had brought this home for $30. I NEVER haggle, but I did this time and got the price down to $20. Now that it's fixed and painted, I feel like I robbed the poor lady who sold it to me!



 


I wasn't sure how to fix the damaged legs so this next part was all experimental. I ended up patching the areas with Elmer's wood putty, and after it hardened enough to be stiff like clay, I used an X-Acto knife to carve out the detail to match the rest. I bought wood hardener, which I had never heard of, but thought maybe it would help strengthen the putty. Fortunately, it worked?! Of course I haven't really tested it, but daily wear hasn't messed it up at all.


Here is a close up of one of the areas I fixed.



 I really wanted the details of the trim to pop so I decided to go two-tone. I sanded it down just to roughen the finish then I primed with Zinsser primer. I then spray painted the trim glossy white with Rust-Oleum's Painters Touch. I used spray so I could easily get into all the details. Once that was finished, I painted the rest of the bed with a brush and roller with satin heirloom white (Rust-Oleum). I use this color for spray painting a lot and really like it, so I had Home Depot color match it with Behr paint.


Close up of the headboard.
 


Can you believe this was a $20 bed?


Linking up to these party's:




Furniture Feature Fridays


mop it up mondays




31 comments:

  1. Great work Kristi! I absolutely LOVE it! GREAT FIND for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fabulous! And what makes it even more beautiful is that it was $20! (Instead of $500 at Pottery Barn.) That was a smart move with the wood putty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it ! Great Job !~ I love finding bargains. steph www.bargainfun.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it looks just amazing! I love the wrapped footboard. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing before and after. Sarah is a lucky girl! Thanks for sharing at Dwell on Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfectly Princess! That was a great find and great save. I must admit feeling simialr sometimes when you get an outrageous bargain, and after all the work feeling like it was a theft.
    Kristy @ 4 the love of WOOD

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is GORGEOUS and for $20!? Are you kidding me? You did an awesome job! PLEASE come show this off at my party on Wednesday! This is fabulous and I'd like to feature this!
    Melody
    ChattyChics.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely link up to your party!! Thanks!

      Delete
  8. This is beautiful! I love finding stuff and making it new again! I love it even more when it is something my husband questions! Love it! I am your newest follower! I found you at i should be mopping the floor! ~Kim www.MarthaOnABudget.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I have gotten a lot of "what did you just buy" looks from my husband. But in the end he is always happy with it. :)

      Delete
  9. Holy Moly, Kristi!! This is to die for. I am in awe of your wood-carving skills...I would've never known that wasn't the original work. Love the shape of this bed, too...so timeless & beautiful. I bet Sarah adores it!! So happy you were able to link up with Mop It Up Mondays!! Thanks for stopping by! I'm so in awe of this piece!!
    {HUGS},
    kristi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Me again!! I just can't quit thinking of all of the adorableness of this. I featured you on this week's Mop It Up Mondays: http://www.ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com/2012/02/mop-it-up-mondays-3.html.

    Feel free to stop by and link up some more fabulousness if you get a chance!
    {HUGS},
    kristi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for the feature! I'll be linking up again for sure.:)

      Delete
  11. WOW!
    The bed transformation is amazing! Just gorgeous, it will be featured tomorrow.
    OXX
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  12. That bed is gorgeous. Popping in from Uncommon Slice. Would love to have you join my weekly party,Wow Us Wednesdays, some time. Usually goes up on Tuesdays, but this week will go up tomorrow morning. following you in both places.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beauty!!! The transformation is stunning and looks like it should be in a magazine. Your daughter is one lucky girl.
    Newest follower ~ Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that is so nice of you to say!! Thanks for following!

      Delete
  14. Saw this featured on My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia and just had to check it out. What an amazing transformation! It is absolutely beautiful. :0)

    I am your newest (linky) follower and would be thrilled if you followed me.

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tina, thanks for stopping by! I love new followers. :)

      Delete
  15. that bed is so pretty! I just love the curved footboard. All your hard work and the sweet pink paint really revivied it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow what a find!! Wonderful makeover too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a wonderful transformation. I love your ingenuity in fixing the leg! It looks great
    Eileen @ cottage beach house

    ReplyDelete
  18. you are amazing! i just found your blog for the first time. wow.

    ReplyDelete